EPA RMP Region 7 2016 Update
This years 8th Annual Ammonia Safety Day in Kansas City for Region 7 was a great success. Over 275 attendees, 27 exhibitors, and a live ammonia release including igniting ammonia in an explosion chamber.
Regions 7 EPA gave a yearly update and explained the new proposed rule, and top 10 list for EPA inspections. They also explained Region 7 highest citations by element and examples of best practices.
Top 10 List by EPA for Inspection:
- Facilities that have EHS Chemicals
- Poorly maintained equipment / poor chemical housekeeping
- Chemical staining, spillage, dumping, burial
- Vessels/containers leaking and no action being taken
- Appearance of dumping untreated waste/chemicals down drains, storm sewers, or waterways
- More than 500 pounds of NH3, 100 pounds of chlorine gas, or 10,000 pounds of any chemical and local responders do not know
- No emergency procedures/plans in the event of a chemical spill
- Significant tankage of oil/petroleum without secondary containment
- Visual dense smoke or dust (not steam) leaving facility
Region 7 Highest Citation by Element for last rolling year
- Process Hazard Analysis (11%)
- Compliance Audits (10%)
- Process Safety Information (9%)
- Standard Operating Procedures (7%)
- Mechanical Integrity (6%)
- Training (5%)
For more information download EPA’s presentation: EPA RMP Region 7 Update 2016
OSHA’s update will be posted as soon as we get permission from the regional office.