How Long Do We Have?
EPA has established the following dates for facility owners and operators to comply with the revised rule requirements: Don’t let these pronounced dates sneak up on you.
- Comply with emergency response coordination activities within one year of the effective date of the final rule;
- Within three years of when the owner or operator determines that the facility is subject to the emergency response program requirements of § 68.95, the owner or operator of a qualifying facility must develop an emergency response program in accordance with § 68.95;
- Correct or resubmit RMPs to reflect new and revised data elements within five years of the effective date of the final rule; and
- Comply with the following new provisions within four years of the effective date of the final rule,
– Third-party compliance audits,
– Root cause analysis as part of incident investigations,
– Emergency response exercises,
– Information availability provisions, and
– Public meetings