NEP Questions: Article 4 of 4: Training
Part 4 of 4: NEP Questions?
GCAP has been honored to release National Emphasis Program questions through RETA. The article is questions based upon the PSM/RMP element we know as training. We encourage you to look at your own PSM/RMP programs and evaluate your effective tools for implementation.
1910.119(g) Training: Questions for Maintenance/Operating Personnel
- Have you been formally trained in all the operating procedures of this facility?
- Have you been formally trained in some of the operating procedures of this facility?
- What types of training have you received?
- Have you had proper training on all the system components that you have responsibility for?
- How frequently are you trained in subjects such as operating procedures, maintenance tasks, and work practices?
- Are there tests administered after training to determine your comprehensions of the training materials?
- Is there a minimum score you must attain?
- Is there any means that the employer used to verify that you understood the training you received for operations of startup and shutdowns?
- When equipment is added or major modifications have been made to the system, are you trained prior to startup?
- Is there anything that you have not been trained in or feel you need more training on?
- Is there any refresher training?
- What does refresher training consist of?
- How often does refresher training occur?
- How is the frequency of refresher training determined?
- Has anybody from management consulted with you about the appropriate frequency of your refresher training?
- Do you have any training certificates?
- When was the last training session for the ammonia system conducted?
- Have you been trained on the overview of the process (refrigeration system)?
- Have you been trained in the operation of the equipment?
- Have you been trained in equipment failure and leak reporting procedures?
- Have you been trained in emergency shutdown procedures?
- Have you been trained in location, purpose, use of emergency equipment, shutdown equipment, and safety equipment?
- Have you been trained when, and under what conditions to use a full face respirator with ammonia filters?
- Have you had any refresher training?
- Have you ever self-educated yourself when it relates to you job duties?
- Can you please explain the refresher training?
- Has any of your training focused on emergency operations including emergency shutdown?
- Has any of your training focused on line breaks?
- When you were trained in a particular procedure, how was it verified you understood the training?
- Do you feel your training on your operating procedures are adequate?
- Have you been trained on how to identify abnormal conditions?
- Have you been trained on how to handle small releases?
- Have you been trained on how to handle large releases?
- Have you been trained in the condition that warrants an emergency shutdown?
- Do you think that your training is adequate?
1910.119(g) Training: Questions for Supervisors/Managers/Coordinators
- Have you been trained on PSM?
- Have you been trained on the overview of the refrigeration system?
- Have you been trained on the operation of the equipment?
- Have you been trained on equipment failure?
- Have you been trained on leak reporting procedures?
- What is the company’s plan when it comes to training a contractor?
- Do system operators have any input on the training that they are to receive?
- Are there tests administered after the training sessions to determine comprehension?
- Does your facility require testing and a minimum passing score for training activities?
- If your company requires testing and a minimum passing score, is the testing designed to ensure that the trainee understands the proper procedures associated with those questions that the trainee answered incorrectly?
- What type of training does this facility require to be through demonstration?
- What does this facility do for refresher training?
- Who determines refresher training frequency?
- What type of verification is used verify that the employer understood the training?
- How do you as management consult with employees in regards to refresher training?
- How do you train your employees in the SOP’s for this facility?
- What types of training is performed at this facility?
- Where do you keep the training records?
- Are there any operators currently “grandfathered”?
- What was the process of grandfathering these employees?
- If a written exam is used for testing, is the testing designed to ensure that the employee understands the procedures associated with those questions answered incorrectly?
- How often are employees trained in subjects like SOP’s, maintenance tasks, and safe work practices?
- Is any training outsourced to third parties?
- Please explain the training process for handling small releases?
- How is training (understanding) verified?
- Does training documentation indicate each and every employee operating a process has received and understood training in accordance with the written operating procedures?
- Are there any current employees who were certified instead of being given initial training?
- Has refresher training been conducted at least every three years on the operating procedures?
- Does the initial training cover safe work practices?
- Has the employer evaluated their training program?
- Are the training goals and objectives specifically tailored to each training module?
- Has the employer clearly defined the goals and objectives they wish to achieve with the training that they provide to employees?
- Do all employees involved in the covered process get the required training before their involvement in operating the covered process?
- Has each employee involved in the covered process received the necessary operating procedure training including: startup, normal operation, temporary operation, emergency operations, normal shutdown, and startup following both a normal and emergency shutdown?
- What type of training is done for employees that do mechanical integrity tasks?
- Has the employer documented the knowledge, skills, and abilities that their employees require to safely carry out their duties and responsibilities?
- Is there documentation for refresher training of employees who where ˝grandfathered˝ in from the initial training?
- Has each employee received training on plant-specific procedures including: operating phases, operating limits, safety & health, and safety systems?
- Is basic awareness training administered to employees newly assigned to refrigeration prior to their start date?
- Are there employee training records?
- Is refresher training conducted on an interval that does not exceed three years?
- Have employees requested more frequent refresher training?
- Is there documentation that they have been trained before their involvement with the covered process?
- Does the training program provide appropriate training to allow them to safely do their job?
- Have the employees been trained in the line opening SOP or just in the line opening permit?
- Are new employees trained in the written procedures according to their responsibilities?
- After a management of change (MOC), is there documentation that employees were made aware and trained in the change prior to the change?
- What type of training is conducted for employees understanding valve tagging, pipe labeling, and pipe color?
Garden City Ammonia Program